Parish Council

Parish Councils are the first tier of local government, representing and serving the residents of the parish. They are comprised of councillors who serve for a four year term of office. Scarisbrick Parish Council has ten members and employs a part time Clerk to implement decisions. Parish Councils are granted powers by Parliament, which essentially relate to local matters, and include the power to raise money through taxation (the precept) to fund its activities. The Chairman gives an annual report on the work of the Council at the Annual Parish Meeting which takes place in May of each year. The Clerk and Responsible Financial Officer to Scarisbrick Parish Council is:

Mrs Judith Smith 

Mobile: 07879713073



Can I attend meetings of the council?

Yes, all meetings of the council are open to the general public (except in very exceptional circumstances) and you are encouraged to attend.

Dates of meetings 2020-21

PLEASE NOTE: The coronavirus restrictions currently mean that physical meetings of the Council have been suspended. However, the Council is holding virtual meetings by means of MS Teams. Members of the public wishing to view the meeting must email the Clerk at before midday on the day of the meeting to receive an invitation. 

Can I speak at the meeting?

You cannot speak while the normal business of the meeting is being conducted. However, provision is made in every agenda for members of the public to address the Council. The Clerk can provide you with details about how this works.

Can I see the minutes of council meetings and other papers?

Under the Freedom of Information Act 2010 you may see and have a copy of the ‘recorded’ information held by the council (unless it is classed as exempt information in the Act). This includes (but is not limited to) agendas, minutes, policies and procedures, and financial information. Much of this is available on this website, any other queries should be addressed to the Clerk. There may be postal and photocopying charges for paper copies and data protection rules may apply.

Do councillors have to declare financial or other interests they have in matters discussed by the council?

Yes. All councillors have to abide by a Code of Conduct which sets out which interests have to be declared. They must also complete a Register of Interests that is open to inspection by members of the public. The Clerk has a copy of the Register which can also be found on West Lancashire Borough Council’s website.

What do I do if I have a complaint against the council?

The Council encourages an informal approach in the first instance. Many issues are the result of a misunderstanding and can be resolved quickly; this also gives an opportunity for the Council to give advice should a complaint need directing elsewhere. We aim to resolve complaints at this stage within five working days. Contact the Clerk or Chairman in the first instance. If this does not resolve the matter (or you don’t want an informal approach), please see the Council’s complaints procedure.

Does the Parish Council have any influence with respect to planning applications?

Scarisbrick Parish Council is consulted by relevant planning authorities on applications affecting the parish. Views expressed by the Parish Council are taken into account before a decision is made but the final decision is made by the relevant planning authority, not the Parish Council.

4 thoughts on “Parish Council

  1. Jayne Heyes

    Good Morning
    We live in Halsall and walk along the canal on a regular basis, this week we have noticed Razor Wire, yes Razor Wire, on the iron bridge at the boat yard in Scarisbrick.
    This area is beautiful and protected and walking along the canal is a privilege but now that area looks like the entrance to a prison, such a Blot on the landscape!
    It is also dangerous as very low and people could be harmed.
    How can this dangerous eye sore be allowed by your counsel. I understand that it is private land but it is private land with a PUBLIC RIGHT OF WAY, surely this Razor Wire needs to be removed?


    Mrs jayne Heyes

  2. Christopher Brazier

    I am not sure if this is the correct forum to lodge a concern about the traffic on Hall Road scarisbrick. My family moved to the area just over 12 months ago and we massively underestimated the impact of the road. We have three young boys and we are extremely anxious about the speed of traffic on the road. No car appears to adhere to the thirty mile an hour limit. It’s bec se it changes quickly from 50 to 30 that the problem exists. Cars, lorries treat the road as if it is a motorway speeding and overtaking each other without any form of due care. Speed cameras or sleeping policemen should be installed it is a matter of time before a serious accident happens. The road is such a concern that we are seriously thinking of moving for the safety of our family . Kindest regards

    1. Gary Fairbrother

      The Parish Council are aware of the traffic problems on Hall Lane. We are currently consulting with residents and partners to resolve the issues as quickly as possible.


Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

You may use these HTML tags and attributes: <a href="" title=""> <abbr title=""> <acronym title=""> <b> <blockquote cite=""> <cite> <code> <del datetime=""> <em> <i> <q cite=""> <s> <strike> <strong>