Monthly Archives: March 2022


Playground upgrade at Scarisbrick Village Hall – have your say.


Funding has become available through Section 106 planning contributions and the Council is supporting the Village Hall Committee in exploring the possibility of replacing/upgrading the playground equipment at the Village Hall.

The Council would like to know if the community would support this project and would be grateful if you could provide answers to the questions found at the end of this article.

What is Section 106 funding?

Under the provisions of Section 106 of the Town and Country Planning Act 1990  contributions can be sought from developers to be put towards the costs of providing community resources. The purpose of these contributions is to enable communities to provide and improve open spaces, sport, recreation or outdoor facilities. The level of contributions is negotiated between developers and West Lancashire Borough Council during the planning application process. Funds are allocated to parish projects through a grant system. Section 106 money may only be spent on facilities where the new development has, at least in part, contributed to the need for the facilities. Funding is available for capital projects only and cannot be used to fund general running costs. Funding will normally be invested in the same parish in which the contributing development is located. However, if we fail to come forward with a suitable project it is likely that the funds will be allocated elsewhere within the Borough.

Why do you need my opinion?

Applications go through a detailed assessment process at West Lancashire Borough Council. Evidence has to be put forward that an assessment has been made of local community need, including public consultation. Failure to demonstrate that there is public backing for the project will ensure that the bid fails. Your response is therefore extremely important to the outcome. So that your views can be taken into account please could you respond to the following questions:

1)   What is your postcode?

2)   Do you have children who use the existing playground?

3)   If so, roughly how often do you visit the existing playground?

4)   Do you support the use of S106 money to refurbish the SVH playground?  Yes or No

5)   If No – what are your main objections to the proposal?

6)   Do you have any suggestions of where the money could be spent instead?


Please comment via this website or email your response to these questions to

Further information can be obtained from the Parish Clerk.

Thank you


“Op Snap” initiative launched by Lancashire Police

Lancashire Constabulary are dedicated to making the roads of Lancashire as safe as possible and wish to create an atmosphere where people do not drive in a careless or antisocial manner.

They are introducing their secure online portal for reporting and submitting digital evidence of suspected moving traffic offences witnessed by members of the public. This is part of their response to the increasing submissions received from members of the public in relation to safety issues on our roads.

“Op Snap” provides a real and practical opportunity for members of the public to do their part to help keep their communities and roads safe by reporting unacceptable driving. The material submitted to the police must fit several criteria, which can be found on their FAQ page

If you believe you have witnessed a road traffic offence and have digital footage of this incident, this can be submitted to the OpSnapLancs team by visiting

The police respectfully ask you not to contact them on 101999 or online as other departments will not be able to advise you on the status of your submission.

cycling pic

Walking and Cycling Survey: Have your say

Have your say on cycling and walking in your area by taking part in a short survey for Lancashire County Council. Your feedback will be used to shape long term plans for future cycling and walking networks for each area of the county.

Everyone is invited to take part in a survey to help shape future plans for cycling and walking in Lancashire.

Lancashire County Council wants to join up the gaps in the existing network of footpaths and cycle routes and provide safer, direct and more convenient routes. They are developing Local Cycling and Walking Infrastructure Plans to provide long term solutions for future cycling and walking networks throughout Lancashire.

A plan will be produced for West Lancashire in addition to Central Lancashire, Ribble Valley, Hyndburn and Rossendale, Burnley and Pendle, Fylde Coast and Lancaster. The Fylde Coast plan will include Blackpool alongside Fylde and Wyre.

Lancashire County Council  are asking for feedback from across the county on current cycling and walking provision. They want to know what the gaps are in the network and what facilities would enable people to walk and cycle more.

The survey will be available on the council’s website until 5 May 2022 and can be accessed here.

Additional design and feasibility work will be needed to take any of the proposed schemes forward.

You can find out more about the Local Cycling and Walking Infrastructure Plans, and take part in the survey at